WELCOME TO THE HIGH CORRIDORS OF POWER
What is Kerala Administrative Service (KAS)?
The Kerala Administrative Service or KAS, the new administrative cadre of the Government of Kerala has turned a reality by January 1, 2018. It has stepped down with the aim to provide a great opportunity for those aspiring and talented minds into the state’s administrative field. No doubt, the new initiative promises to bring forth a new phase in the State’s administrative services.
What are the objectives of KAS?
The Kerala Administrative Service focuses:
- To build a cadre of public servants as a second line of managerial talent for Government for effective implementation of Government policies and Programmes
- To provide opportunities for efficient and committed officials in the Government service and prepare them for senior level administration and managerial positions in public service.
- To constitute a feeder category for the recruitment of Indian Administrative Service Officers in Kerala Cadre
Why Kerala Administrative Service?
KAS gives a big opportunity for the youth to enter the government service, while the state will get fresh faces. Through KAS, cadres will get into more top positions in the service based on merit. At present, those who have secured high ranks in studies work in clerical posts. Also, employees who have proved their mettle will get an opportunity to get higher posts through KAS. It constitutes a feeder category for the recruitment of Indian Administrative Service Officers in Kerala Cadre.
How is it formed?
The KAS is being formed by setting aside 10% of the second gazetted posts in 29 select departments and that of common category posts. That includes Administrative Secretariat, Finance Secretariat Commissioner of Entrance Examinations and treasuries.
KAS consists of four categories of officers:
1) KAS Officer (Junior Time Scale)
2) KAS Officer (Senior Time Scale)
3) KAS Officer (Selection Grade Scale )
4) KAS Officer (Super–Time Scale)
How to enter KAS?
Recruitment to the Kerala Administrative Service is done by the Kerala Public Service Commission (KPSC). The mode of recruitment follows three streams;
(1) Direct recruitment from graduates through open competition
(2) Direct recruitment from permanent staffs in government departments who do not fall in the category of first gazetted posts or above
(3) Recruitment by transfer appointments from candidates holding 1st Gazetted posts
What is the method of appointment to KAS?
Every person appointed to the Kerala Administrative Service starts as a Junior Time Scale officer. Further, he/she will undergo an 18 month training programme. This is conducted by the ‘Institute of Management in Government (IMG), the apex training institute of the Government of Kerala, with the task of developing managerial skills, organisational abilities, leadership qualities and decision making skills in the candidate. After that, he/she will be put on probation.
What about Promotion Possibilities?
Promotions will be subjected to the cadre strength and by the completion of office tenure fixed by the Government.
- Those who have satisfactorily completed their probationary period and eight years in the post of KAS (Junior Time Scale) will be promoted as KAS officer (Senior Time Scale).
- Those who have satisfactorily completed their probationary period and six years in the post of KAS (Senior Time Scale) will be promoted as KAS officer (Selection Grade Scale).
- Those who have satisfactorily completed the probationary period and eight years in the post of KAS (Selection Grade Scale) will be promoted as KAS officer (Super Time Scale).